Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Is March Too Cold for Catfish?

I have been asked this a millions times now so I figured I would touch up on the subject.  The answer is it depends on were you live.  For an example, here in SC the catfish are in deeper water at the beginning of march and are now moving into the shallows slowly as the water temperature goes up.  The bass are also starting to spawn for you bass fisherman.

March is usually the start of the spawn in the southern east coast states such as South Carolina and Florida.  In fact, I'm pretty sure the catfish are in the shallows in Florida because it has been warmer there this year.  Here in SC were going through days were it gets into the 80s and drops back down to the 50s the next day.

So, if you want to catfish the rest of march I suggest checking your water temperature before going.  If the water temperature is lower than 55 degrees, you will need to find points and channels were the depth is between 25 and 60+ feet.  If you are fishing for blues, I would suggest using oily cut bait such as shad or herring.  If the water temperature is above 60-65 degrees, the catfish will move into shallow water so get your stink bait ready and find shallow water (6-10ft).  Check out my previous article for tips on how to catch channel cats: March Channel Catfishing

No comments:

Post a Comment

Best Catfishing Products!